Easy Company Bars
When my husband and I were newlyweds, he had the habit of inviting people to our house at the spur of the moment for cake and coffee. I had to come up with a recipe both good and quick to fix. After testing these bars a few time, I found I could have them made not long after the coffee was brewed.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup finely chopped nuts
- Confectioners' sugar
- Coat an 8-in. square baking dish with the melted butter. In a large bowl, beat eggs. Gradually beat in brown sugar and vanilla just until combined. Combine flour and baking soda; stir into the egg mixture. Fold in nuts. Pour batter evenly over butter; do not stir.
- Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool slightly; sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Cut into bars. Cool completely.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 233 calories, 12g fat (2g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 67mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Easy Company Bars in Reminisce Extra February 1994
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.