When my husband and I were newlyweds, he had the habit of inviting people to our house at the spur of the moment for cake and coffee. I had to come up with a recipe both good and quick to fix. After testing these bars a few time, I found I could have them made not long after the coffee was brewed.
Recommended: 36 Savory Suppertime Pies
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup finely chopped nuts
- Confectioners' sugar
- Coat an 8-in. square baking dish with the melted butter. In a large bowl, beat eggs. Gradually beat in brown sugar and vanilla just until combined. Combine flour and baking soda; stir into the egg mixture. Fold in nuts. Pour batter evenly over butter; do not stir.
- Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool slightly; sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Cut into bars. Cool completely. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Easy Company Bars in Reminisce Extra February 1994, p49