Green beans and roasted sweet red peppers make this an attractive side dish for Christmas. The mild blend of seasonings would pair well with many meals.
Recommended: 100 Great Ways to Use Canned Beans
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
- 2-1/4 cups canned white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup julienned roasted sweet red peppers
- 3/4 cup pitted Greek olives, halved
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 6 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place green beans in a steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 5-6 minutes or until crisp-tender. Cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the green beans, kidney beans, red peppers and olives. In a small bowl, combine the oil, lemon juice, basil, salt and pepper. Pour over bean mixture; toss to coat. Serve at room temperature. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Colorful Bean Salad in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2007, p20