VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- Baking cocoa
- Vanilla frosting and Red-Hots
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, oil and molasses until well blended. In another bowl, whisk cake mix, flour and ginger; gradually beat into egg mixture.
- Shape dough into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 3-4 hours or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-1/2-in. gingerbread man cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Press raisins into cookies for eyes.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until edges are firm. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Decorate with frosting and candies as desired. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Originally published as Easy Chocolate Gingerbread Cutouts in Cookies & Candies Bookazine 2014, p13