Easy Chicken and Dumplings
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-2/3 cups reduced-fat biscuit/baking mix
- 2/3 cup fat-free milk
- In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, cook and stir celery and carrots over medium heat until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in broth, chicken and seasonings. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a gentle simmer.
- For dumplings, mix biscuit mix and milk until a soft dough forms. Drop by tablespoonfuls on top of the simmering liquid. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook 10-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in dumplings comes out clean (do not lift cover during the first 10 minutes).
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 260 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 1039mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 27g protein.
Jul 8, 2018
This recipe looks great but the dumplings at the Cracker Barrel in Tulsa don't look like this--they are flat.
Jun 28, 2018
Very good! The only change I made was to cook the dumplings uncovered over low heat 10 minutes then cover and cook 10 minutes longer as instructions on my biscuit mix instructed. This makes sure the dumplings are done and tender. It also thickens the sauce a bit.
Jun 2, 2018
Absolutely delicious and soooo easy! The leftovers thickened up in the fridge, so it was even better the next day. I can't wait to make it again!
Feb 4, 2018
I used frozen mixed veggies. It was good. I think the sauce should be thickened. The dumplings should be flipped when firm so the other side cooks.
Jan 26, 2018
Easy and delicious. Will make again.
Jan 11, 2018
Made this for the first time....thought there would be leftovers....and not one drop left...big hit with my family..thank you for sharing.... next time I will double the recipe. :)
Jan 8, 2018
I haven't tried this recipe yet, I gave it 5 stars, because this is the Chicken and Dumplings I remember as a kid. Not Chicken and Noodles, as so many call Dumplings now. I will be making soon, since we're in the middle of Winter. Thank you for sharing.
Jan 3, 2018
it was very good, i cut recipe in half as there is only two of us. I wasnt sure what to expect so I was a little surprised to find it as "soupy" as it was, just thought it would have been a little thicker but still very good
Nov 25, 2017
Fantastic!!! Next time I'll double all but the biscuits so that leftovers don't soak it all up. Loved this!
Oct 29, 2017
Delicious! I added marjoram and parsley to both the liquid and the dumpling dough.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.