Easy Cheese Straws
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, beat butter until light and fluffy. Beat in cheese until blended. Combine flour, salt and cayenne; stir into cheese mixture until a dough forms. Roll into a 15x6-in. rectangle. Cut into thirty 6-in. strips. Gently place strips 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- 2. Bake until lightly browned, 15-20 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
1 each: 72 calories, 5g fat (4g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 106mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Mar 2, 2018
I doubled the recipe but still baked in two separate batches. So EASY and so DELICIOUS! I did cook each batch (gas oven) for 27 minutes at 350, turning the pan around at 15 minutes. At 20 min, they were still quite soft. Other than a difference in timing, the recipe was spot on and I have a new favorite to make as snacks and to take to parties!
Sep 8, 2017
wonderful flavor! I rolled each one by hand into a thin straw.
Jan 25, 2012
I have loved these since I was a Child. Takes me back to a Happier time. I have also tried them with roasted pecans chopped up in it.