During haying season, I bake this in my convection oven, which turns itself automatically. That way, dinner is ready and waiting when we walk in the door.—Cindy Covey, Heuvelton, New York
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (8 ounces) pizza sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 hoagie rolls (about 6 inches long)
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the pizza sauce, basil and oregano; simmer for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice each roll lengthwise 1/2 in. from the top; set tops aside. Hollow out rolls to 1/2 in. of bottom and sides; discard. Sprinkle 3 tablespoons cheese into each roll; spoon the meat sauce evenly into rolls. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Replace tops of rolls.
- Wrap each roll individually in foil. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 477 calories, 19g fat (10g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 758mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 34g protein.
Originally published as Easy Calzone in Country Ground Beef
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
More from Taste of Home
What’s the Secret to Perfect Burgers at Home? A Former Restaurant Chef Shares 11 Expert Burger Grilling Tips