Easy Burgundy Stew
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 3 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2 pounds), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 cup Burgundy wine or reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- In an ovenproof Dutch oven, combine the first 11 ingredients. Combine flour and water until smooth. Gradually stir into stew. Cover and bake at 325° for 3 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender, stirring every 30 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 287 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 84mg cholesterol, 332mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Oct 17, 2013
Could this recipe be done in a crockpot instead of dutch oven?
Feb 20, 2011
It was a big hit. I took a few liberties with the recipe by adding more carrots, celery, and tomatoes. I then adjusted by adding more of the liquids. But the basic recipe was just terrific. And very easy for a busy Sunday afternoon.
Feb 18, 2011
It was easy to make and we liked the flavor very much.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.