Easy Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps
One time when making sloppy joes, I wanted mine spicy, so I doused it in hot sauce. After that, my mind went wild and I made it Buffalo-chicken style with ground chicken, diced celery and blue cheese crumbles. I've been making it this way ever since. —Jennifer Nielson, Spanish Fork, Utah
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground chicken
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup Louisiana-style hot sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 12 Bibb or Boston lettuce leaves
- Crumbled blue cheese, optional
- In a large skillet, cook and crumble chicken over medium-high heat 3 minutes. Stir in celery and pepper; cook and stir until chicken is no longer pink and celery is crisp-tender, 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in ketchup, hot sauce, brown sugar, vinegar and mustard; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until flavors are blended, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve in lettuce leaves. If desired, top with cheese.Freeze option: Freeze cooled chicken mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts2 lettuce wraps: 198 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 81mg cholesterol, 612mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch.
Originally published as Buffalo Chicken Sloppy Joes in Simple & Delicious October/November 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.