One time when making sloppy joes, I wanted mine spicy, so I doused it in hot sauce. After that, my mind went wild and I made it Buffalo-chicken style with ground chicken, diced celery and blue cheese crumbles. I've been making it this way ever since. —Jennifer Nielson, Spanish Fork, Utah
Recommended: 26 Buffalo Chicken Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground chicken
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup Louisiana-style hot sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 12 Bibb or Boston lettuce leaves
- Crumbled blue cheese, optional
- In a large skillet, cook and crumble chicken over medium-high heat 3 minutes. Stir in celery and pepper; cook and stir until chicken is no longer pink and celery is crisp-tender, 2-3 minutes.
Stir in ketchup, hot sauce, brown sugar, vinegar and mustard; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until flavors are blended, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve in lettuce leaves. If desired, top with cheese.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled chicken mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Easy Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps in Simple & Delicious October/November 2017