Easy Bread Squares
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + rising Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (120° to 130°)
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- Melted butter
- In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. Add water and shortening. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in remaining flour (batter will be stiff). Do not knead. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Stir dough down. Spread evenly into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Brush with melted butter. Cut into squares.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 125 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 158mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 22, 2009
Excellent recipe! I've made this twice now and it disappears immediately.Today I brushed it with eggwhite/water and sprinkled poppy seeds on top prior to baking... YUM! Especially good with soft-boiled eggs.Thank you!