Easy Bread Squares
There's no kneading or rolling out dough in this extra-easy yeast recipe. I like to serve generous slices alongside spaghetti.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + rising Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (120° to 130°)
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- Melted butter
- In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. Add water and shortening. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in remaining flour (batter will be stiff). Do not knead. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Stir dough down. Spread evenly into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Brush with melted butter. Cut into squares.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 125 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 158mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Feb 22, 2009
Excellent recipe! I've made this twice now and it disappears immediately.Today I brushed it with eggwhite/water and sprinkled poppy seeds on top prior to baking... YUM! Especially good with soft-boiled eggs.Thank you!