- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (120° to 130°)
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- Melted butter or margarine
- In a mixing bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. Add water and shortening; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on high for 3 minutes. Stir in remaining flour (batter will be thick). Do not knead. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes. Stir dough down. Spread evenly into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Brush with melted butter. Cut into squares. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Reviews forEasy Bread Squares
"Excellent recipe! I've made this twice now and it disappears immediately.Today I brushed it with eggwhite/water and sprinkled poppy seeds on top prior to baking... YUM! Especially good with soft-boiled eggs.Thank you!"