VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (120° to 130°)
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- Melted butter
- In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. Add water and shortening. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in remaining flour (batter will be stiff). Do not knead. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Stir dough down. Spread evenly into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Brush with melted butter. Cut into squares. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Originally published as Easy Bread Squares in Best of Country Breads 2000, p42
Reviews forEasy Bread Squares
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 22, 2009
"Excellent recipe! I've made this twice now and it disappears immediately.Today I brushed it with eggwhite/water and sprinkled poppy seeds on top prior to baking... YUM! Especially good with soft-boiled eggs.Thank you!"