Bizcochitos, with their wonderful citrus and spice flavors, are special cookies we look forward to each year. It just isn't Christmas Eve at our house if we don't have these cookies with mugs of Mexican hot chocolate.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1 package (17-1/2 ounces) sugar cookie mix
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon aniseed, crushed
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, combine cookie mix, flour, orange zest and aniseed. Stir in melted butter, egg and vanilla until blended.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-in. cookie cutter.
- Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. In a small bowl, mix sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over cookies. Bake 6-9 minutes or until edges are light brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 93 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 52mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Easy Bizcochitos in Cookies & Candies 2014 Bookazine