Easy Apple-Stuffed Chicken Breasts
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled apple
- 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 3/4 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cold water
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- In a small bowl, combine the apple, cheese, bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness; top with apple mixture. Roll up and secure with toothpicks.
- Place in an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Pour apple juice and water over chicken; brush with butter. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Discard toothpicks.
- Transfer pan juices to a saucepan; bring to a boil. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into pan. Cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Pour over chicken. Sprinkle with paprika.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 275 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 494mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 31g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1-1/2 fat, 1 fruit.
Nov 24, 2013
Good, easy recipe. Only additions I made were adding a sliced green onion and a sprinkle of Mrs Dash along with the pepper.
Dec 17, 2010
I thought this was super easy and tasted great. I must have had the tart apples, because it was a little too much apple taste for me. I used italian breadcrumbs and that overpowered everything. I had some extra filling and put it over the top before the gravy. That gave it more flavor - try that!
Nov 13, 2010
Easy, Fast, Delicious. I love any excuse to cook with apples.
Oct 30, 2010
Very, very bland. The sauce was not very thick and the whole disk was not very appealing to the eye.
Feb 16, 2010
Good. Like other reviews though it just needs a little something else to give it a bite. Going to try a tarter apple or shaper cheese next time.
Oct 12, 2009
I tried this for the first time yesterday and it was super easy. However I found it to be too plain. I will make it again but I will have to modify the recipe (even though I added raisins to it yesterday).
Jun 30, 2009
I tried this recipe with some Old Bay seasoning, what a great dish, easy to prepare and excellent with whole wheat basmati rice. Nanarosy
Apr 13, 2008
I tried this recipe and it just didn't go over well. Maybe I'm used to spicier foods or perhaps my execution was off that day. I will give it another try in about a month to see if my opinion changes. On a positive note it was fairly easy to prepare and didn't take much time to cook.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.