Easy Apple Strudel Recipe
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups coarsely chopped peeled apples
- 1/3 cup plus 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1. In a microwave-save bowl, combine the raisins, water and almond extract. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 1-1/2 minutes, let stand for 5 minutes. Drain. Add the apples, 1/3 cup sugar, flour and cinnamon; toss to coat. Set aside.
- 2. Place 1 sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface. Combine butter and oil; set aside 2 teaspoons. Lightly brush some of the remaining butter mixture over phyllo dough. Keep remaining phyllo dough covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to avoid drying out. Layer with 7 more sheets of phyllo, brushing each layer with some of the butter mixture. Spread apple mixture over phyllo to within 2 in. of one long side. Fold the short edges over filling. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting from the long side where the apple filling is 2 in. from edge.
- 3. Place seam side down on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. With a sharp knife, cut diagonal slits into top of strudel. Brush with reserved butter mixture. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden. Yield: 4 servings.
1 piece: 205 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 121mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch, 1 fruit.
Reviews for Easy Apple Strudel
"easy and so delicious, this apple strudel is a dessert I make a lot. If I'm being honest, it's also one of my favorite breakfast items. Also good as a late night snack. If you can't tell, it's really delicious anytime of the day. I make a simple vanilla sauce to go with it and it's like a touch of Bavaria."
"Big hit at brunch. This was my first experiment with phyllo so I didn't mess with the sugar and use "fake" sugar. I will next time, now that I have more experience with the dough."
"This is a staple in my house. Everyone loves it and can't believe it's light."
"This recipe is almost as yummy as my grandma's authentic apple strudel without the hard work and heaps of calories!"