Easy Apple Dumplings Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 2 cups water
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 6 small to medium apples, peeled and cored
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. For syrup, place 1 cup sugar, water, 3 tablespoons butter and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Boil 3 minutes; remove from heat.
- 2. Mix the remaining sugar and cinnamon. On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry dough to a 21x14-in. rectangle; cut into six squares. Place an apple on each square. Fill center of each with 4 teaspoons sugar mixture and 1/2 teaspoon butter. Moisten edges of pastry with water; bring up corners over apples, pinching edges to seal. Place in an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- 3. Pour syrup around apples. Bake until golden brown and apples are tender, about 45 minutes. Serve warm. Yield: 6 servings.
Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches): Combine 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour and 1/2 tsp. salt; cut in 1 cup cold butter until crumbly. Gradually add 1/3 to 2/3 cup ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Shape into a 1-inch-thick square; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
1 serving: 773 calories, 39g fat (24g saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 475mg sodium, 104g carbohydrate (62g sugars, 4g fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Easy Apple Dumplings
"These are the best! My family can't wait for me to make them!"
"they tasted wonderful"
"I'm about to make this recipe again, like right now! My husband and I LOVED it and we are going to try to make an even bigger batch to share with others. This is mouth watering SOOOOOO Yummy good!!"
"This is the exact recipe my grandma and mom made and now I use. A family tradition served at Thanksgiving and Christmas. Mine are the freezer ready to go. I prepare the apples in the pastry, then double bag them individually in fold & lock sandwich bags, place on cookie sheet and freeze overnight, then place in a large freezer zip bag. When ready to bake, complete as stated in recipe. Add 10-15 minutes baking time depending on size of apples, due to starting with frozen apples. Also, we double the sauce. Reserving half to warm up and pour over dumplings and ice cream. Yum!"
"omg, the best! and the smell is awesome"
"This recipe is a hit!!!"
"These are wonderful!"
"It was delicious and very easy. I made this for my family and we loved it!"
"I made this for my family and there are a few who don't even like apple pie, and they loved it."
"Apple dumplings always look so good (from the pictures). My grandmother made us baked apples instead of apple dumplings but I would love to try an apple dumpling one day!