Easter Sugar Sandwich Cookies
Make these fruit-filled sugar cookies from our Test Kitchen throughout the year by using different cookie cutter shapes.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min. + cooling
Makes1-1/2 dozen sandwich cookies and 1-1/2 dozen small cutouts
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup raspberry filling
- 1/3 cup apricot filling
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and extract. Combine the flour, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll out one portion to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. round cookie cutter. Repeat with remaining dough. Using a small floured bunny- or chick-shaped cookie cutter, cut out the center of half of the cookies.
- Place cookies and cutouts 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until edges are very lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Spread bottoms of the solid cookies with filling; place cookies with cutout centers over filling. Serve with cutouts.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 188 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 98mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.