Easter Sugar Sandwich Cookies
Make these fruit-filled sugar cookies from our Test Kitchen throughout the year by using different cookie cutter shapes.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min. + cooling
Makes1-1/2 dozen sandwich cookies and 1-1/2 dozen small cutouts
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup raspberry filling
- 1/3 cup apricot filling
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and extract. Combine the flour, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll out one portion to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. round cookie cutter. Repeat with remaining dough. Using a small floured bunny- or chick-shaped cookie cutter, cut out the center of half of the cookies.
- Place cookies and cutouts 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until edges are very lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Spread bottoms of the solid cookies with filling; place cookies with cutout centers over filling. Serve with cutouts.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 188 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 98mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Easter Sugar Cookies in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.