- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cook-and-serve vanilla pudding mix
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon maple flavoring
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 2 cups milk chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons shortening
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in pudding mixes until blended. Whisk in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smooth.
- Divide pudding mixture between two bowls. To the first bowl, add walnuts and maple flavoring; mix well. To the second bowl, add coconut and coconut extract; mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until firm. Form tablespoonfuls of pudding mixture into egg shapes. Place on a waxed paper-lined pan. Chill for 30 minutes or until firm.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt milk chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip eggs in chocolate. Place on waxed paper until set. Decorate as desired. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 4 dozen.
Reviews forEaster Egg Candies
"These are my husband's favorite candy! I make the entire batch maple and omit the walnuts. We usually freeze the filling, it's easier to work with. Washing your hands every few minutes helps, as does greasing your hands a little before handling the filling."