- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 to 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 4 large eggs
- 3 to 6 hard-boiled large eggs, unpeeled
- Assorted food coloring
- Canola oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- In a large bowl, mix sugar, yeast, cardamom, salt and 2 cups flour. In a small saucepan, heat milk and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Add 3 eggs; beat on high 2 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, dye hard-boiled eggs with food coloring following package directions. Let stand until completely dry.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds. Roll each portion into a 24-in. rope. Place ropes on a greased baking sheet and braid. Bring ends together to form a ring. Pinch ends to seal. Lightly coat dyed eggs with oil; arrange on braid, tucking them carefully between ropes.
- Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a bowl, whisk remaining egg and water; gently brush over dough, avoiding eggs. Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Reviews forEaster Egg Bread
"If I could give this bread 10 stars, I would! I made half a recipe of the dough in my bread machine & formed it into a braid just to try it before making it for Easter. Wow! THE most delicious bread I've ever had! I know my family is going to love it. Will be making it frequently during the year. This is too good to enjoy only at Easter!"
"I made this last year and it was very good, but I prefer my family recipe, which my mother made, and now me, for the past fifty years - it is more moist, plus we always colored and used raw eggs to bake encircled by the sweet yeast dough. There are many versions, very similar, and all are special Easter treats!"
"can I make the Easter Egg bread Gluten free by using the Gluten Free flour 1 - 1 ?"
"I had to search my memory going way back to remember what exactly was that delicious and beautiful bread my Nana used to make. She called it La Luna (the moon). As a young girl I remember watching her tucking my colored Easter eggs into a sweet dough. When she passed away, alas there were no written recipes. My search began & I have learned much about this special, symbolic bread which is made by many cultures. I have made this Easter bread for a few years now, it is a connection to my past and a tradition in my family that would have been lost. I was so thrilled to find a good recipe right here on TOH. With vanilla or cardamom, it's delicious. Its not Easter without it!"
"We've been making this for the past five years...mine is going into the oven right now! My college-aged daughters still look forward to having this beautiful and tasty bread at Easter."
"Not only does this taste good, the presentation is so pretty. I find that it tastes best the same day it is made."
"This SOUNDS wonderful and I am going to try it this weekend. My question is: are the eggs good to eat after being first hard boiled, then baked in the oven? Maybe they are just for the decoration??"
"This is a wonderful delicious Easter Egg bread Recipe ! The Eggs definately need to be pre-cooked. I substituted cardamon for Vanilla and used 3 cups White Four and 3 cups Whole Wheat Flour. I served it with fresh Butter and Cinnamon. What a beautiful and colorful and yummy presentation this made. This Recipe is definately a keeper I plan to make this every Easter. I used 6 pre-cooked assorted colored Easter Eggs going between each Braid of Dough that rises to a big beautiful colorful Egg's Nest. This Recipe is Eggceptional ~ YOU WILL LOVE IT !!"