Easter Bunny Carrot Cake
At Easter, I hop to it and bake this delectable moist cake in a bunny-shaped pan. I've taught myself a few cake decorating techniques from a book and have fun dabbling. Even a beginner can trim this sweet rabbit! -Vikki Rebholz, West Chester, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 can (16 ounces) cream cheese frosting
- Pink gel food coloring
- Brown decorator icing
- 1 chocolate-covered peanut
- Red and green liquid food coloring
- Sweetened shredded coconut
- In a bowl, combine the eggs, sugar, oil, water and vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg and cloves; beat into egg mixture. Stir in carrots. Pour into a greased and floured 2-qt. bunny-shaped pan. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- Tint 1/3 cup frosting light pink and 1/3 cup frosting dark pink. Spread plain frosting over cake. With brown icing, outline bunny and form an ear, eyebrow, bow, nose, mouth and paws. Fill in ear and nose with light pink frosting and bow with dark pink frosting. Add chocolate-covered peanut for the eye.
- In a resealable plastic bag, combine 1/2 teaspoon water and a few drops of red food coloring; add 1/3 cup coconut. Seal bag and shake to coat. Sprinkle on tail. If desired, tint additional coconut green and sprinkle around bunny for grass.
Editor's Note: The Cottontail Bunny Pan can be ordered from Wilton Industries, Inc. Call 1-800/794-5866 or visit www.wilton.com. The carrot cake may also be baked in a greased 11x7x2-in. baking pan for 40-45 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 427 calories, 17g fat (3g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 313mg sodium, 65g carbohydrate (46g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Easter Bunny Carrot Cake in Taste of Home April/May 2003