- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 4 large eggs
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 9-3/4 to 10-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup golden raisins
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in water; set aside. In a large bowl, beat eggs and yolks until lemon-colored; gradually add sugar. Add the butter, salt, vanilla, lemon juice and zest; beat well. Add milk and yeast mixture. Gradually add 6 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle with raisins; knead for 5 minutes longer. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds. Cover and let rest 10 minutes. Shape each portion into a loaf and place in greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 325° for 45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks. Yield: 3 loaves (16 slices each).
Reviews forEaster Bread
"recipe sounds great....my family use to add whiskey and also used saffron"
"I've been looking for a recipe that comes close to a bread that an elderly Russian lady would share with us on holidays. This one fits the bill beautifully. A great loaf."