Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 1 hour 25 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1 medium carrot, cut in paper-thin strips
- 1/4 pound fresh green beans, sliced lengthwise
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 4 large mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 8 to 10 ounces fresh spinach
- 3 cups cooked rice
- On waxed paper, shape the ground beef into a 7-in. square. Using a large knife, cut beef into 1-in. cubes. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet over medium-high heat; add half of the beef cubes. Stir-fry about 3 minutes or until no pink remains. Remove beef and keep warm; repeat with remaining beef cubes.
- Heat remaining oil in skillet; stir-fry onion, celery, carrot, beans, water chestnuts and mushrooms for 2 minutes. Add broth; reduce heat. Cover and steam for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in honey and soy sauce.
- Dissolve cornstarch in water; add to skillet. Return meat to skillet. Place spinach on top of meat/vegetable mixture; cover and steam for 1 minute. Stir in spinach. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 525 calories, 19g fat (5g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 734mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 6g fiber), 31g protein.
Aug 21, 2009
This is one of our favorite recipes! I don't do the meatballs but just crumbled ground beef. It has such an interesting mixture of flavors and is a great way to sneak in spinach.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.