East Indian Vegetable Casserole
My husband requests this a lot because he likes ethnic food. My son loves the raisins and peanuts. To save time, I chop up the vegetables the night before.—Cheryl Gross, Elgin, Illinois
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups beef broth or vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped dry roasted peanuts
- 1. Place the green pepper, onion and butter in a 2-qt. microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 3 minutes, stirring once. Stir in the rice, carrots, celery, pepper sauce, cardamom and nutmeg; set aside.
- 2. Place broth in a 2-qt. microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 3-4 minutes or until boiling. Add raisins; let stand for 1 minute. Stir into rice mixture.
- 3. Cover and microwave on high for 11-14 minutes or until rice is tender, stirring twice. Sprinkle with peanuts. Let stand for 3 minutes before serving.
1-1/2 cups: 301 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 435mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 4g fiber), 7g protein.
© 2020 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC