East Indian Vegetable Casserole
My husband requests this a lot because he likes ethnic food. My son loves the raisins and peanuts. To save time, I chop up the vegetables the night before.—Cheryl Gross, Elgin, Illinois
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups beef broth or vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped dry roasted peanuts
- Place the green pepper, onion and butter in a 2-qt. microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 3 minutes, stirring once. Stir in the rice, carrots, celery, pepper sauce, cardamom and nutmeg; set aside.
- Place broth in a 2-qt. microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 3-4 minutes or until boiling. Add raisins; let stand for 1 minute. Stir into rice mixture.
- Cover and microwave on high for 11-14 minutes or until rice is tender, stirring twice. Sprinkle with peanuts. Let stand for 3 minutes before serving.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with an 850-watt microwave.
This recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 301 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 435mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 4g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as East Indian Vegetable Casserole in Casserole Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.