VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2/3 cup dried yellow split peas
- 4-3/4 cups water, divided
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- In a large saucepan, combine peas and 4 cups water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30-35 minutes or until tender. Drain and keep warm.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the bay leaf in oil until golden, about 3 minutes. Add onion; saute until tender. Stir in the seasonings; saute for 30 seconds. Add the rice; cook and stir for 3 minutes. Stir in broth and remaining water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender. Add peas; heat through. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as East Indian Split Pea Pilaf in Light & Tasty October/November 2001, p19