East Coast Cheese Soup
This creative twist on a cheesy soup incorporates fresh vegetables for a unique combination of flavors. —Sharon Delaney-Chronis, South Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 quarts 2% milk
- 1-1/3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 package (8 ounces) process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a Dutch oven, saute the carrots, celery, onion and green pepper in butter until tender. Stir in flour and salt until blended; gradually add milk and broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to low; stir in cheeses until melted.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Land O'Lakes light stick butter.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 349 calories, 21g fat (14g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 783mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 16g protein.
Originally published as East Coast Cheese Soup in Country Woman Christmas 2010