East Coast Cheese Soup
This creative twist on a cheesy soup incorporates fresh vegetables for a unique combination of flavors. —Sharon Delaney-Chronis, South Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 quarts 2% milk
- 1-1/3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 package (8 ounces) process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a Dutch oven, saute the carrots, celery, onion and green pepper in butter until tender. Stir in flour and salt until blended; gradually add milk and broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to low; stir in cheeses until melted.