VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 Earl Grey tea bag
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Place tea bag in a 1-cup glass measuring cup. Add boiling water; steep 3-5 minutes. Discard tea bag. Cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and cooled tea. In another bowl, whisk flour, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, cardamom and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Shape level tablespoons of dough into balls; place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten slightly with bottom of a glass.
- Bake 6-8 minutes or until light brown. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Mix confectioners' sugar and remaining cinnamon. Dust cookies with cinnamon mixture. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Earl Grey Tea Cookies in Cookies & Candies Bookazine 2014, p46