Dutch Spice Cookies
My sister gave me the recipe for these cookies, which have become a holiday tradition at our house. My kids tear into the spicy, crisp cookies right out of the oven. I prefer them cooled - but it's risky waiting. I might not get any!
Total TimePrep: 20 MIN. + CHILLING Bake 10 MIN./BATCH
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed aniseed
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground ginger, nutmeg and cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 cup finely chopped slivered almonds
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Combine the flour, spices, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in milk and almonds.
- Roll dough into a 16-in. x 10-in. rectangle between two sheets of waxed paper. Cut into 2-in. squares. Cover with waxed paper and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Place squares 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 375° for 8-10 minutes or until firm. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 187 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 95mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.