- Template on page XX
- Waxed paper
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup finely ground almonds
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Milk and chopped sliced almonds
- Trace template onto waxed paper; cut out. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, molasses and orange zest. Combine the flour, ground almonds, cinnamon, baking powder, nutmeg, cloves, pepper, ginger and cardamom. Gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a parchment paper-lined surface, roll a small amount of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Trace around template or cut with floured 3-in. holiday-shaped cookie cutters, leaving 1 in. between cookies. Remove excess dough and reroll scraps if desired.
- Slide a baking sheet under the parchment paper and dough. If using template, trace decorative details with a toothpick. Brush cookies with milk and sprinkle with chopped almonds as desired. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
Reviews forDutch Speculaas
"Haven't made these yet, wondering if they taste like windmill cookies!"
"For those looking for the template, look under Directions #1. Where it says "Trace template", hover over the word "template" and you'll see it's underlined. Click on the word to get a picture of the template.I haven't made these yet, but they look delicious! Think I'll make them for the holidays."
"Will not make do not know how to get template."
""Template on page XX"??"