VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 5 cups mashed potatoes (without added milk and butter or seasoning)
- 6 cups cubed crustless day-old white bread
- 2-1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery leaves
- 1 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 cup milk
- 1 turkey (12 to 14 pounds)
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, bread cubes, onion, celery leaves, parsley, butter, salt and pepper. In a small bowl, beat flour and egg substitute. Stir in milk; pour into the potato mixture and mix well. Add more milk if filling seams dry.
- Just before baking, stuff the turkey. Skewer openings; tie drumsticks together. Place on a rack in a roasting pan.
- Bake at 325° for 4-1/2 to 5 hours or until a thermometer reads 180° for the turkey and 165° for the stuffing. When turkey begins to brown, cover lightly with a tent of aluminum foil and baste if needed. Remove all stuffing. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Dutch Potato Poultry Stuffing in Country Woman November/December 1994, p31