Dutch Oven Pork Roast
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Grill: 1 hour + standing
Makes9 servings (3 cups sauce)
- 1 boneless whole pork loin roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, undrained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Prepare grill or campfire for low heat, using 20-24 charcoal briquettes or large wood chips.
- Line a Dutch oven with heavy-duty aluminum foil; add pork. Combine the salsa, kidney beans, salt and pepper; pour over pork.
- Cover Dutch oven. When briquettes or wood chips are covered with white ash, place Dutch oven directly on top of 10-12 of them. Using long-handled tongs, place remaining briquettes on pan cover.
- Cook for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until thermometer reads 145°. To check for doneness, use the tongs to carefully lift the cover. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 248 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 445mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 32g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 30, 2011
I made this in my stone roaster. Meat was very tender, but it did not have much flavor.
Oct 5, 2009
Um.m.m.m.m! Used crock pot instead of grill. Realized after should have used about 1/2 salsa amount-made a great "gravy" with mashed potatoes. Roast was indeed very tender and tasty.