Dutch Oven Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (2-1/2 to 3 pounds), cut up
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 celery ribs, sliced
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 teaspoons rubbed sage, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1. Place chicken and water in a Dutch oven. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer; cook until chicken is tender, about 30 minutes.
- 2. Remove chicken from kettle; bone and cube. Return chicken to kettle along with the onion, celery, carrots, celery seed, 1 teaspoon of sage, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- 3. For dumplings, combine the biscuit mix, milk, parsley and remaining sage to form a stiff batter. Drop by tablespoonfuls into the simmering chicken mixture. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup: 276 calories, 9g fat (0 saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 579mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 20g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 meat.
Reviews for Dutch Oven Chicken and Dumplings
"So, the dumplings sucked the broth right up. I tried to mix up some more broth to add it in. I think that if I make this again then I am going to have to add a lot more water (double or triple) or broth from the get go."
"Simple and really good. I make this all the time."
"I used to make this recipe quite frequently and recalled it being very good. I recently brought it back into rotation for family-together meals. One of my now-adult sons exclaimed on seeing it, "I remember this!" He left with the recipe."