Dutch Oven Cheesy Bacon & Eggs
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 pound bacon strips, chopped
- 1 package (20 ounces) refrigerated O'Brien hash brown potatoes
- 8 large Eggland's Best eggs
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional
- 2 cups shredded cheddar-Monterey Jack cheese
- Prepare campfire or grill for medium-high heat, using 32-36 charcoal briquettes or large wood chips.
- In a 10-in. Dutch oven, cook bacon over campfire until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings, reserving 2 tablespoons in pan.
- Carefully press potatoes onto bottom and 1 in. up sides of Dutch oven. In a small bowl, whisk eggs, cream and, if desired, pepper sauce until blended. Pour over potatoes; sprinkle with cooked bacon and cheese.
- Cover Dutch oven. When briquettes or wood chips are covered with white ash, place Dutch oven directly on top of 16-18 briquettes. Using long-handled tongs, place 16-18 briquettes on pan cover.
- Cook 20-25 minutes or until eggs are completely set and cheese is melted. To check for doneness, use tongs to carefully lift cover. If necessary, cook 5 minutes longer.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 393 calories, 25g fat (12g saturated fat), 242mg cholesterol, 907mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 21g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 10, 2016
We really wanted to like this but we just couldn't eat it. I made this exactly as written and it was so sad!!! Nothing but a greasy mess. Way too much cheese that also separated into a greasy glob. I do plan on "remaking" this with some major changes.
Jul 9, 2016
I added a tbsp of chopped fresh jalapenos.