Dutch Oven Bavarian Pot Roast
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 2 hours 35 min.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 beef chuck pot roast (about 5 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 cups apple juice
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 to 12 ounces fresh whole mushrooms
- In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over high and brown meat on all sides. Combine all remaining ingredients except mushrooms; pour over meat. Cover and reduce heat to simmer. Cook 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until meat is tender. Transfer met to platter; keep warm. Add mushrooms to cooking juices; simmer 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, remove mushrooms and spoon over roast.
- Meanwhile, reduce cooking juices to desired thickness by cooking over high heat. Spoon a portion of the gravy over roast and pass the rest.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 297 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 291mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 30g protein.
Feb 7, 2014
I am German and have a large German family, but this tastes nothing like I remember. It was OK, but I won't be making it again.
Oct 23, 2013
This goes great with some Oktoberfest!
Oct 13, 2013
I make this pot roast with shredded beet salad and potato pancakes for my sister's birthday dinner. We love the favors of the tender meat.
Mar 17, 2013
!I give that a (-)5 Stars has not flavor, all you taste is cinnamon,cinnamon and meat not a good ,we did not like it at all.Madabout how much money I spend for the meat.What a waste!
Dec 20, 2012
I use beer instead of apple juice, about a cup. And no mushrooms. This is one delicious pot roast.
Jan 22, 2012
Very good flavor! Will make again
Nov 12, 2011
The only change I made was to rub the beef with salt and pepper before browning. This was a hit - served with mashed potatoes.
Jul 20, 2010
The aroma of this pot roast while cooking is so enticing! My family and I agree that the gravy is divine.