Dutch Oven Bavarian Pot Roast
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 2 hours 35 min.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 beef chuck pot roast (about 5 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 cups apple juice
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 to 12 ounces fresh whole mushrooms
- In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over high and brown meat on all sides. Combine all remaining ingredients except mushrooms; pour over meat. Cover and reduce heat to simmer. Cook 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until meat is tender. Transfer met to platter; keep warm. Add mushrooms to cooking juices; simmer 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, remove mushrooms and spoon over roast.
- Meanwhile, reduce cooking juices to desired thickness by cooking over high heat. Spoon a portion of the gravy over roast and pass the rest.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 297 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 291mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 30g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 7, 2014
I am German and have a large German family, but this tastes nothing like I remember. It was OK, but I won't be making it again.
Oct 23, 2013
This goes great with some Oktoberfest!
Oct 13, 2013
I make this pot roast with shredded beet salad and potato pancakes for my sister's birthday dinner. We love the favors of the tender meat.
Mar 17, 2013
!I give that a (-)5 Stars has not flavor, all you taste is cinnamon,cinnamon and meat not a good ,we did not like it at all.Madabout how much money I spend for the meat.What a waste!
Dec 20, 2012
I use beer instead of apple juice, about a cup. And no mushrooms. This is one delicious pot roast.
Jan 22, 2012
Very good flavor! Will make again
Nov 12, 2011
The only change I made was to rub the beef with salt and pepper before browning. This was a hit - served with mashed potatoes.
Jul 20, 2010
The aroma of this pot roast while cooking is so enticing! My family and I agree that the gravy is divine.