- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large Golden Delicious apples, chopped
- 2 large Red Delicious apples, chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup seedless red grapes, quartered
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- In a small saucepan, combine flour and sugar. Whisk the egg and milk; stir into flour mixture until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Transfer to a small bowl; cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- Just before serving, combine the apples and celery in a large salad bowl. Drizzle with dressing; gently toss to coat. Sprinkle with grapes and walnuts. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forDutch Apple Salad
"After reading the reviews, I modified the recipe by substituting corn syrup for the sugar and added vanilla after taking it off the stove. Lightly sweet taste which wouldn't overpower the fruit. Also added dried cranberries and raisins for an added texture"
"Overall it was very tasty- however, the cream base was a bit lacking in flavor and consistancy. I think I might try using some sort of yogart next time."
"The Yogurt sounds great to me too. I usually use Miracle whip plus a little sugar so I will be trying both of the above. Thanks, Anna"
"I make a salad that is very similar: chopped apples (I like to use one granny, one red delicious and one golden delicious), sliced celery, cashews, and pina colada or vanilla yogurt. Simple and yummy."
"I love apples in a salad, and I think the vanilla yogurt idea is great. I will be making this soon.Thanks for the recipe.LinnieG"