Dutch Apple Loaf
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups diced peeled tart apples
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in buttermilk and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture. Fold in apples and walnuts. Pour into a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan.
- 2. For topping, combine the sugar, flour and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over batter.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
1 slice: 243 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 252mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Jun 6, 2019Love this recipe. So simple and so delicious. I did put in a half of cup of sugar and then in the topping less sugar then it called for. Very good. Can I freeze it ?
Jan 2, 2019I made this for Christmas for my husband and to give out as a treat. It was a tremendous hit! Inmad some other breads/loafs too, but this one by far was the star! Everyone raved about this bread. I will be making this for my husband all the time now. I made it totally per the recipe and I will not change a thing. I might make them as a cupcake to try...
Jan 18, 2018
very good. This is a keeper.
Dec 16, 2015
Great recipe!! I made it to specs --no changes. We all love it and I'm making double batches to give as Christmas Gifts--Delicious!!!
Oct 17, 2015
Delicious! I made them into muffins, and they turned out perfect! Very moist!
Dec 31, 2014
This is very good. Made it last month and I am making it again today only I'm doubling it this time. I didn't change a thing. Everyone in my family loves it.
Dec 5, 2014
This is a wonderful moist apple bread. My family devoured it. I left out the nuts due to allergies. I plan on doubling the recipe and baking in mini loaf pans for Christmas gifts this year. Thank you for a good easy recipe.
Oct 19, 2014
Oct 17, 2014
Absolutely delicious. I made 2 loaves and have one in the freezer to enjoy later.
Oct 13, 2014
Great recipe! I made a double batch one with Granny Smith apples and one with HoneyCrisp. This will be my new "go to" Apple bread recipe! My entire family loved it! I will be baking larger batches and freezing so I can have it when we want! It is so delicious warm with a smear of butter!