- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups diced peeled tart apples
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in buttermilk and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture. Fold in apples and walnuts. Pour into a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan.
- For topping, combine the sugar, flour and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Reviews forDutch Apple Loaf
"very good. This is a keeper."
"Great recipe!! I made it to specs --no changes. We all love it and I'm making double batches to give as Christmas Gifts--Delicious!!!"
"Delicious! I made them into muffins, and they turned out perfect! Very moist!"
"This is very good. Made it last month and I am making it again today only I'm doubling it this time. I didn't change a thing. Everyone in my family loves it."
"Absolutely delicious. I made 2 loaves and have one in the freezer to enjoy later."
"Delicious! My husband said he was going to buy another bag of apples just so I could make more of this bread. I used granny smith apples and the flavor was wonderful. It is also really good with a simple topping of cinnamon and brown sugar. (1/3 cup brown sugar & 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon)"
"I agree with janeprimack. How can anyone rate a recipe if they change it completely? I made this exactly as directed and it gets a 5 star from me. Don't bother to rate a recipe if you change it becaue it isn't a true way of rating.AThanks Gladys, this is a real keeper...delicious!"