- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups diced peeled tart apples
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in buttermilk and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture. Fold in apples and walnuts. Pour into a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan.
- For topping, combine the sugar, flour and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Reviews forDutch Apple Loaf
"Great recipe!! I made it to specs --no changes. We all love it and I'm making double batches to give as Christmas Gifts--Delicious!!!"
"Delicious! I made them into muffins, and they turned out perfect! Very moist!"
"This is very good. Made it last month and I am making it again today only I'm doubling it this time. I didn't change a thing. Everyone in my family loves it."
"Absolutely delicious. I made 2 loaves and have one in the freezer to enjoy later."
"Delicious! My husband said he was going to buy another bag of apples just so I could make more of this bread. I used granny smith apples and the flavor was wonderful. It is also really good with a simple topping of cinnamon and brown sugar. (1/3 cup brown sugar & 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon)"
"I agree with janeprimack. How can anyone rate a recipe if they change it completely? I made this exactly as directed and it gets a 5 star from me. Don't bother to rate a recipe if you change it becaue it isn't a true way of rating.AThanks Gladys, this is a real keeper...delicious!"
"To delowenstein: You did not make this recipe. With 12 lines of your changes, you made your own recipe. Maybe next time, simply submit it to TOH and not post it on the review section. When I try a TOH recipe the first time. I follow it exactly. Then the next time, I make changes and make it my own."