Dumplings with Tomatoes and Zucchini
Here's a unique and tasty side dish that has dumplings made with absolutely no flour!
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 1/4 cups chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 large fresh tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium zucchini, peeled and cubed
- PARMESAN DUMPLINGS:
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add tomatoes, basil, sugar, salt and pepper. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Add zucchini; cook, covered, for 15 minutes or until tender. For dumplings, combine egg and cheese. Drop by tablespoons onto tomato mixture. Simmer, covered, for 5 minutes or until dumplings are firm.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 153 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 665mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Dumplings with Tomatoes and Zucchini in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook
Apr 15, 2012
So tasty and easy to make. I've made a dish similar to this one for years without the dumplings. The dumplings make this dish more hearty and they are a great addition to this summertime fare.