Brown rice lends a wonderful nuttiness to this tasty treat. “I’m sure your family will love this sweet and salty version of down-home comfort food.” Carla Cervantes — Modesto, California
Recommended: 75 Make-Ahead Holiday Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Dash salt
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 8 caramels
- 1 tablespoon coarse sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- In a large saucepan, combine the first seven ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- Stir in milk. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 12-16 minutes or until thick and creamy, stirring occasionally. Add caramels, stirring until melted. Discard cinnamon sticks.
- Spoon into dessert dishes. In a small bowl, combine coarse sugar and kosher salt; sprinkle over pudding. Serve warm or cold. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Dulce de Leche Rice Pudding in Healthy Cooking February/March 2010, p33