Dugout Hot Dogs
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Cook: 25 min. + cooling
Makes10 servings (2 cups relish)
- ZUCCHINI RELISH:
- 2-1/2 cups chopped zucchini
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- HOT DOGS:
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 2 to 4 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 10 hot dogs
- 10 hot dog buns, split
- In a large bowl, combine the zucchini, onion, green pepper and salt; cover and refrigerate overnight. Rinse and drain well; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, vinegar, celery seed, mustard and turmeric; bring to a boil. Add zucchini mixture; return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until crisp-tender, stirring occasionally. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 3-5 minutes or until thickened. Cool. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- For hot dogs, in a small saucepan, combine the ketchup, onion, sugar and vinegar; simmer, uncovered, for 2-3 minutes. Add hot dogs; simmer 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through. Serve on buns topped with relish.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 393 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 1214mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein.
Aug 9, 2014
This is a fantastic relish recipe. It's so easy to make and is it ever delicious. What I love the most about it is it makes a small batch-perfect for us "empty nesters". My husband who who claims he doesn't care for relish loves this one.
Aug 2, 2011
This relish is great. I always double the recipe. Great on hot dogs and hamburgers.
Aug 20, 2009
Years ago I had a Zucchini Relish recipe that I used for making relish from all those zucchini's from my garden. Well I quit canning and I have misplaced the recipe. Since the economy is requiring me to dust off my canning supplies I was hoping someone would have the recipe. All I can remember (other than it was delicious)was that it had ground pepper in it and it was sweet. The kids loved it on their hot dogs and hamburgers. However there was not any cornstarch in the recipe.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.