- 1/2 cup mashed potatoes (mashed with milk and butter)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Additional sugar or confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, sugar, egg, sour cream and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients; stir in potato mixture.
- Heat oil in an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer to 375°. Drop teaspoonfuls of batter, a few at a time, into hot oil. Fry until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels; roll in sugar while warm. Yield: 3 to 3-1/2 dozen.
Reviews forDrop Doughnuts
"I made a double batch of these. Everyone loved them, even the dog who managed to confiscate our leftovers."
"A great way to use up leftover mashed potatoes! They were delish and my husband couldn't believe that I used mashed potatoes in the recipe. I will definitely be making these again. Thank you for this delicious recipe for donuts!"
"These are fantastic! I rolled them in cinnamon sugar. So good!"
"This recipe for small crunchy donuts was just what I was looking for I served them with lemon sauce. If they had been more flavorful they would not have worked with the lemon sauce. Very good thanks for sharing."
"These were surprisingly good. Made them in the evening and had the leftovers for breakfast. I did add cinnamon and nutmeg, as suggested by donnajewett for a little more flavor and they were great!"
"I gone to try to instead or vanilla use Bacon and roll in chopped pecans"
"These are very good and easy to make. I wonder if they could be made with rice flour, as I have a Celiac person in the family."
"Tastes great with the cinnamon and nutmeg added to the batter and great way to use up leftover mashed potatoes after the holidays."
"I would make the recipe again but add 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg to the batter to add more flavor. Texture and ease of making was great!"