Drizzled Nanaimo Bars
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + chilling
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In large heavy saucepan, combine the butter, sugar and chocolate. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until melted. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into eggs. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until mixture reaches 160°. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla.
- In a large bowl, combine the cracker crumbs, coconut and walnuts. Stir in chocolate mixture until blended. Press into a greased 15x10x1-in. pan. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until set.
- For filling, in a large bowl, beat the butter, milk and pudding mix until blended. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth; spread over crust.
- For glaze, in a microwave, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Drizzle over filling. Refrigerate until set. Cut into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 180 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 107mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Mar 16, 2012
Just a note...true Nanaimo Bars have a luscious and creamy centre filling that is the thickest part of the bar. The chocolate layer on top actually covers the whole thing, as opposed to being drizzled.
Jan 16, 2012
I loved these! Yes it was spread a little thin when making, but it tasted fine. I may try and use less chocolate for drizzling next time as it seemed to cover the whole pan.
Sep 22, 2011
These were a hit with my family and friends! I wish I had looked on the comments here first before I started though, because I would have known to have done a few things differently! Like the other reviews, the filling barely covered the graham cracker crust, so I doubled the recipe on the filling, and then for the chocolate drizzle on top, I just used 2oz, of chocolate instead of the 8 it called for. I only had 2 oz in my pantry, and this worked out just perfectly! Any more and it would have been WAYYY too much. Glad others felt the same way. I thought these were really good, and everyone I have given them to, seems to love them! I will make again, and of course note the changes on my recipe.
Jul 30, 2011
As others have noted, the filling needs to be increased and drizzle decreased (unless you want to cover the entire pan), but overall this was a hit with my family. I will be making it again with the modifications.
Jun 11, 2011
Next time I will use the entire box of pudding mix, because the layer with only 2 tablespoons barely covered the pan of graham cracker mix on the bottom. And the chocolate layer was more a complete coverage with 8 oz, than a drizzle. Otherwise tasty!
May 24, 2011
These are so delicious! I did not use nuts. And I covered the top with the chocolate - needed to make more. They are better kept chilled (in refrigerator).
Apr 27, 2011
I made these for a Canadian friend and thought they were OK, but not amazing. The crust seemed pretty crumbly, and the filling wasn't quite enough. I will make them again with some modifications.
Apr 12, 2011
I didn't like that this recipe required more than 1 box of graham crackers for the 4 cups graham cracker crumbs. I liked the filling but didn't seem to have quite enough to the cover the crust well. The glaze was no problem for me BUT you don't need 8 ounces of chocolate-4 oz is plenty. All-in-all, this recipe was disappointing to me. There are too many ingredients (expensive also). It just wasn't a pleasure to make.
Apr 7, 2011
The drizzle was a problem. I ended up thinning it with chocolate syrup.
Mar 27, 2011
My friends and family loved it too. I also had problems with the chocolate. I had to double the filling recipe to get it to spread the entire pan. But oh what compliments I had. Has anyone made it without the nuts? We have friends with nut allergies and I was thinking you could just add an extra cup of graham crackers.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.