Dried Fruit and Sausage Dressing
This recipe was developed by one of our freelance food stylists, Suzanne Breckenridge. I make it every Thanksgiving, and my husband always hopes for leftovers! —Stephanie Marchese
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup port wine
- 8 ounces coarse-textured white bread
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 medium tart apple, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons chopped dried apricots
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3 to 4 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- Crumble sausage into a small skillet; cook over medium heat until no longer pink. Drain and set aside. In the same skillet, saute onion and celery in butter until tender. Add wine; simmer for 2 minutes.
- Cut crusts from the bread if desired; tear bread into small pieces. Place in a bowl; add the sausage, onion mixture and remaining ingredients. Mix lightly. Transfer to a greased shallow 1-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 40 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until lightly browned.
TEST KITCHEN TIP If you'd like to use this dressing to stuff a turkey, use 1/4 cup egg substitute in place of the egg.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 157 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 428mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Dried Fruit and Sausage Dressing in Test Kitchen Favorites Cookbook