Dried Fruit and Sausage Dressing
This recipe was developed by one of our freelance food stylists, Suzanne Breckenridge. I make it every Thanksgiving, and my husband always hopes for leftovers! —Stephanie Marchese
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup port wine
- 8 ounces coarse-textured white bread
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 medium tart apple, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons chopped dried apricots
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3 to 4 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- Crumble sausage into a small skillet; cook over medium heat until no longer pink. Drain and set aside. In the same skillet, saute onion and celery in butter until tender. Add wine; simmer for 2 minutes.
- Cut crusts from the bread if desired; tear bread into small pieces. Place in a bowl; add the sausage, onion mixture and remaining ingredients. Mix lightly. Transfer to a greased shallow 1-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 40 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until lightly browned.
TEST KITCHEN TIP If you'd like to use this dressing to stuff a turkey, use 1/4 cup egg substitute in place of the egg.