VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds, toasted
- 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- In a small bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly. Beat in egg whites and extract. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to sugar mixture. Stir in cherries and almonds (dough will be stiff).
- Press into an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool for 5 minutes. Remove from pan to a cutting board; cut biscotti in half with a serrated knife. Cut each half into 1/2-in. slices.
- Place slices cut side down on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until light golden brown, turning once. Remove to wire racks to cool. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Dried Cherry Biscotti in Country Woman November/December 2005, p36