- 6 large egg whites
- 3 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup vanilla soy milk
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup plus 1/4 cup thawed orange juice concentrate, divided
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon plus 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Assorted sprinkles, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 24 muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites, eggs, sugar, soy milk, oil, applesauce and 1/3 cup orange juice concentrate until well blended. In a small bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into egg mixture.
- Fill prepared cups two-thirds full. Bake 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, mix confectioners' sugar and remaining orange juice concentrate until smooth. Dip cupcakes into glaze. If desired, decorate with sprinkles. Let stand until set. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews forDreamy Orange Cupcakes
"llynettew18: Seeing how egg whites tend to dry out cakes/cupcakes, I suggest to decrease the amount of egg whites and see if that helps."
"I made these for my niece who has a milk allergy. Turns out, the cupcakes are pretty gross. I recommend looking for a different recipe. The cupcakes are too stiff and the glaze is very tart."
"This would be great for my son, who has a milk allergy, except that he also has an egg allergy. I understand how to substitute for eggs when they are binders with applesauce, but how would you substitute for all the egg whites and whole eggs in this recipe?"
"I'm supposing real milk is all right for those of us allergic to soy, though? LOL"
"Glad to see recipes for those who are Lactose Intolerant."