Dreamy Fudge Bar Cookies
This good-looking, good-tasting bar cookie classic has a hint of almond flavoring.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Dash salt
- 3 cups rolled oats
- CHOCOLATE FILLING:
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour, soda, salt and oats; stir into creamed mixture; set aside. For filling, combine chips, milk and butter in a saucepan. Melt over low heat, stirring until smooth. Cool slightly. Stir in walnuts and extract. Press two-thirds of oatmeal mixture into bottom of a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Cover with filling and sprinkle remaining oatmeal mixture on top. Flatten slightly. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes.