Dreamy Fudge Bar Cookies
This good-looking, good-tasting bar cookie classic has a hint of almond flavoring.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Dash salt
- 3 cups rolled oats
- CHOCOLATE FILLING:
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour, soda, salt and oats; stir into creamed mixture; set aside. For filling, combine chips, milk and butter in a saucepan. Melt over low heat, stirring until smooth. Cool slightly. Stir in walnuts and extract. Press two-thirds of oatmeal mixture into bottom of a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Cover with filling and sprinkle remaining oatmeal mixture on top. Flatten slightly. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 259 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 66mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Dreamy Fudge Bar Cookies in Grandma's Great Desserts Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.