Dreamy Chocolate Chip Bars
This recipe is my children's favorite (and mine!). For even more sweet flavor, they always ask me to dust the bars with confectioners' sugar.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, oats and 1/2 cup brown sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, vanilla and remaining brown sugar. Combine the coconut, walnuts, baking powder, salt and remaining flour; gradually add to egg mixture and mix well. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Spread evenly over crust. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into bars while warm. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 110 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 53mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Dreamy Chocolate Chip Bars in Best of Country Cookies
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.