VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 loaf (10-3/4 ounces) frozen pound cake, thawed
- 1 pint cherry ice cream, softened
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Maraschino cherries, optional
- With a serrated knife, slice pound cake horizontally into two layers. Place bottom layer on a freezer-safe serving platter; spread with ice cream. Replace cake top; cover and freeze for at least 3 hours.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and extract until smooth. Gradually add sugar; beat until fluffy. Set aside 1/2 cup.
- Remove torte from freezer; frost the top and sides. Cut a small hole in the corner of a plastic or pastry bag; insert a #20 star tip. Fill bag with reserved frosting; pipe around the bottom edge of torte. Cover and freeze for at least 1 hour.
- May be frozen up to 3 months. Remove from the freezer 10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with pecans. Garnish with cherries if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Dreamy Cherry Torte in Quick Cooking May/June 1999, p34