I've been making this dish for over 15 years, but it's still my husband's favorite and the one that he requests most often. I'm not complaining, though. It's easy to prepare, and I love the combination of flavors as much as he does!
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 8 bacon strips, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 package (5-1/4 ounces) au gratin potatoes mix
- 2-1/4 cups boiling water
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 eggs
- Dash pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook bacon in a large skillet until crisp. Drain, reserving 2 cups drippings in the skillet with the bacon. Stir in contents of au gratin potato mix, water, milk green pepper, onion and thyme. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
- Transfer to an ungreased 2-qt. baking dish. Make six indentations in potato with a spoon. Break eggs into indentations. Sprinkle with pepper. Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until eggs reach desired doneness. Sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 390 calories, 27g fat (11g saturated fat), 246mg cholesterol, 841mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 14g protein.
Originally published as Down-on-the-Farm Breakfast in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.