Down-Home Pot Roast
My mother often made pot roasts, and the aroma wafting through the house made our mouths water. Through the years, I've tried different variations, but this is a favorite.—Lenore Rein, Kelliher, Saskatchewan
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 2 hours 35 min.
- 1 beef sirloin tip roast (3 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 small head cabbage, cut into wedges
- 4 medium potatoes, quartered
- 2 medium onions, cut into chunks
- 3 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold water
- In a Dutch oven, brown roast on all sides in oil over medium-high heat; drain. Add broth. Pour vinegar over roast. Sprinkle with garlic, basil and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours, turning roast occasionally. Add water if needed. Spoon off fat.
- Add vegetables to pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 35-45 minutes or until vegetables and meat are tender. Remove meat and vegetables to a serving platter and keep warm.
- For gravy, pour drippings and loosened browned bits into a measuring cup. Skim fat, reserving 2 cups drippings. Return drippings to pan. Combine flour and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into drippings. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with meat and vegetables.